Monday 30 May 2011

Va va voom!

I’m a sucker for culture of 40/50 ies

Love absolutely everything about that era: music (Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack, Elvis, Rockabilly), movie stars (Ingrid Bergman, Joan Crawford, Bette Davis, Vivien Leigh, Katharine Hepburn – weren’t they simply breathtaking?!), cars (if I could get my hands on a 1951 Dodge…hmmm), fashion (skirts, dresses, hairstyles, veils) and of course: the notorious pin-up girls

When I found out about a three day Burlesque workshop held in Zagreb, I immediately signed-up (especially when I saw we’ll be learning how to pull a Pin-up look). And didn’t regret it for a second. 

Sade O'Sapphic, Australian burlesque dancers who’s been performing since 2004. was our workshop mentor. She is a Dublin based neo & classic burlesque performer and she fascinates lovers of cabaret around the world with her skills. And, she is g.o.r.g.e.o.u.s.  

The workshop was divided into units:
  • Day one - Introduction to Burlesque (a brief history, styles of burlesque, how to choose your style, how to choose your name, selecting music etc.),
  • Day two - Let’s get dolled up! 1940’s Glam & 50’s Pin-up Hair & Make-up (examples of styles, the Bare essentials (make-up), lips, lashes & eyeliner - a how to, how to make your own hair pieces, doing classic hair roll styles,
  • Day three - Tease, twirl & tantilise! (Master class) - stocking strip tease & Tassel twirling (Performance class on and off stage).
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to attend the last day of the workshop, but here is my version of a pin-up look:


One of the most fun workshop part was choosing our “alter-ego” name...
If you are wondering which name I choose for myself, its Sweet Pepper... It kinda suits me, don’t you think? :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...