Monday 14 February 2011

Qui, une fois venu à Paris, vient toujours à Paris...


First thing everyone told me when I said we were going to Paris was: “Aaaa, Paris - the city of love!”. But Paris is sooo much more... famous buildings, works of art, chic fashion scene, culture... we travelled there in June and stayed for a week. These are some of my favourite places...  
What is a first thing that a non-Parisian does when in Paris? Climbs on Eiffel Tower – of course... and I have to admit – the view is breathtaking... 


If you have enough time, you should definitely talk a walk down both sides of Siene - "Rive Gauche" and "Rive Droite"On the left bank you can see Eiffel Tower and Conciergerie:


Some people are living on boats on Siene:


The Ile de la Cite is a natural island located on the Seine River in Paris between the Rive Gauche and Rive Droite and there the beautiful gothic cathédrale Notre Dame de Paris is situated:   






From the first day I knew I was going to Paris, I had my mind set to going (and possibly buying) a book at Shakespeare and company bookshop. So you can understand my disappointment when I came there and found it closed...Well, I guess I will have to go there again :)


Café?



A must-see is the church of Saint-Eustache with the L'écoute sculpture by Henri de Miller:



If I would have to pick one favourite museum in Paris, I’d definitely pick Musée d’Orsay. Standing 10 centimetres form G-E-N-I-U-S works of art (Vincent van Gogh, Renoir, Manet)...it doesn’t get much better than that...




Qu'est-ce que le menu aujourd'hui? French cuisine... no comment... something perfect...



Now home to a number of famous cafés (such as Les Deux Magots and Café de Flore), galleries, nightclubs, bookshops and publishing houses, the Saint-Germain-des-Prés area  was the center of the existentialist movement.


Parc Monceau - no better place to spend lunchtime on a park bench with wine and cheese...




If you prefer modern art, then THE place for you to see is Centre Georges Pompidou - the largest museum of modern art in Europe:



Parc de la Villette and the 'Metro de Moscou':



The magnificant Arc de Triomphe...



We had dinner at a cute little restaurant at Montmartre: 


And took a photo in front of Moulin Rouge :)



St. Augustine said: “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”... and I have many more pages to read... 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...